Sunday, January 17, 2010

my apologies dear reader

I admit I've been neglecting certain things. Its been a crazy 6 weeks. There was the crunch of Christmas, I had a post Civil War Walnut bookcase that needed repair/refinish and assembly that was do on the 13th as it needed to be in place for a party, then there was the Christmas present commission I'd started back in like May, and of course the things I needed to make to give as gifts. I finally went to Ashville to do the solstice party...It was ok. I spent Christmas with a bottle of cognac and a drawing...I needed to just sit and draw...I need to do more of it. I spent New Years with some of the Chapel Hill arm of my friends...It was nice, not as crazy as in years past, but nice...there was this really irritating woman there who just seemed to need to draw attention to herself, but mostly people ignored her. I got home at 3 am and slept the rest of the day and accomplished very little over the weekend except feeding claire and myself and sleeping. I guess I just needed to recharge.
After the holidays I began the preparations for the Gallery I want to start, The "experimental" bookcase I've been putting off for more then a decade cause I think it's a fools errand, and looking into the restoration of an early 19th century mahogany Tea box, there's the printmaking seminar they want me to teach at the end of the month for linoleum and woodcut. Not to mention a client stopped by with a painting he bought in South America that they took off the stretcher for packing...it needs to be re stretched and then framed. No rest for the wicked...and I am their king. I'm getting the ball rolling for the Gallery. I've written the flyer, I've designed the poster and contacted my Insurance guy to get that under way. I also posted a blurb on Craigslist. So far things are going. I've got the forms for the insurance, that I might add are ridiculous. They want to prohibit the serving of alcohol at the opening, in case somebody gets loaded and falls over and either hurts himself or one of the works...Who ever heard of having an opening without wine and cheese? Thats sorta like having a parade without a marching band. And without a burglar alarm they won't insure against theft. However we'll see. The local paper has finally found me, after 22 years. I called them to tell them about the gallery. They're going to run a short blurb about in Monday's paper however they want to show up next week to take some photo's and then want to interview me. I'm going to have to watch my tongue. I just need to remember that not only will everything I say and do be subject to public scrutiny but they're going to misinterpret and misrepresent anything they can to exploit the situation...after all they're in the business to sell papers, the truth of the matter is negotiable. I've got to keep certain opinions to myself and to stress the reasons that I'm doing this...Which I'm sure I'll have an opinion on at the time.

I sit in the semi darkness, of a Sunday morning writing this. My cat asleep next to me, the recent projects in my Sisyphean attempt to live the life I was chosen for and chose after having deciding to take a stand. Is it a fools errand to attempt to drag these people into cultural awareness? Is it ridiculous to think that what this town needs is a realization that there is a world and a thought process out there that is as alien to them as though they were being transported to another planet? Am I destroying the life here that I've worked so hard for the last 20 years to maintain? I don't know. I know that Something must be done. I know that the status quo is so beyond ridiculous that something must be done. And No one else will do it. They either lack the guts, the stupidity or the oversight to take the bull by the horns, Yet again I must step forward. Oh well. I, as always, am in Gods hands...I just wish that one of these ventures wouldn't blow up in my face. At 52 I really need a win. However the world moves forward, each day is given to make plans and enact and engage them. Today I work on the experimental bookcase...I need to get this thing out of here. Monday I meet with the snack table guy...Oy that's going to be interesting...I'm thinking he couldn't find anybody willing to waste their time with his ridiculous project. I also need to see the cardiologist for my regular check up...he'll take my blood pressure, listen to my chest, check my ankles and wrists for swelling, keep me abreast of any tests I'm doing, make fine adjustments to my medicine, ask if I want samples and Cut me loose. I need to remember to print up a picture of the Mural...he gets a kick out of seeing what I'm working on. and my life goes on...maybe I'll make some coffee, maybe I'll go back and see if I can catch some more ZZZZZ's. After all it's Sunday and raining out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home